Saturday, November 5, 2011

Through Thick and Thin

Dedication: To relationships here, there and everywhere!


This week started off a tad bit spooky and I'm not referring to the Halloween festivities, but rather to Kim K's announcement she was filing for divorce. Was it really spooky or deja vu? Seventy-two days after pledging to spend the rest of her life with NBA star, Kris Humphries, Kim Kardashian called it quits.





While many wondered was it a publicity stunt? Was it for money? Was if for ratings? Others such as myself thought, what does this say about the institution of marriage? Most importantly, what kind of image regarding marriage is this whole fiasco portraying?

I vowed to spend the rest of my life with my prince charming 1302 days ago. We were 23-years-old, straight out of college, madly in love and absolutely out of our minds. We look back at it now and laugh but still believe it's the greatest decision we've ever made.

(Patrick and I, April 12, 2008) 

 Today, we are surrounded by wonderful family and friends who have vowed to love each other through thick and thin or are planning on taking the big plunge. Many of them have turned to us for advice.

I'll share with you the miniscule wisdom we've acquired in the past three plus years. 
  • Marriage is about compromise
  • Life isn't perfect or a fairytale
  • Date nights are the bomb, always make time for just you two
  • Respect, trust and honesty are a must
  • Never go to bed angry
  • You're each other's biggest fan (professionally and spiritually)
  • Time with the girls and time with the boys is way cool
  • Don't air your dirty laundry, it's your business not anyone else's
  • Her family is your family and his family is your family
  • Talk to each other not at each other.
  • It's not what you say it's how you say it
  • Choose your battle's wisely; don't fight over the little stuff
  • While things may not always be perfect, just remember you're perfect for each other.

Honestly, I could go on forever! I'm also not a relationship expert or insinuating my advice is the best or right for that matter. What I can say is I'm still madly in love with my Booger aka prince charming. We have a lot more to learn and many more hurdles and obstacles to face; the best part you ask? We'll do it together!

Please know this post is by no means a jab at Kim K- I'm a HUGE fan! I watch the show, love her clothing line, like her perfume and think she's got a rocking body. I admire her for following her heart and doing what' right for her. I wish her and Kris the best during this difficult time, but I want people to know that marriage is a beautiful institution. It's also a lot of hard work and should not be taken lightly. If you aren't sure, don't do it! More than anything I want people to realize that a wedding is a one day event and a marriage should be till death do you part. 

Hasta next time,
Grace


2 comments:

  1. Please bring your wedding album to school some day... I am only mildly obsessed with wedding pictures haha (and yours are so pretty!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abra-you're the best! We'll get together sometime and I'll show you some pictures of our (Patrick and I's) big day. I also have video which could also feed to the obsession. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete