Sunday, November 27, 2011

Mission Accomplished

Dedication: To novice runners everywhere!

A few weeks back I shared my goal of completing my new year's resolution of running a 5K. I'm proud to say on Thanksgiving Day, I completed the Run Miami's Turkey Trot.

(Me before the race) 

At 5:00 a.m. sharp the alarm went off. Following Coach's orders, I was sure to hydrate and eat a light breakfast, a slice of toast with peanut butter. At 6:30 a.m. I was at the race site picking up my registration packet. I have to say I had an amazing support team by my side, my two biggest fans Mami and Patrick. Both stood by me, helped me stretch and gave me the traditional bendicion before the count down. Once the countdown started, it was game time. It was just me and the songs that had filled my numerous runs.

In training for this event, I had run more than 26 miles, took up spinning twice a week and ate healthier than I had in a really long time. I ran in 40 degree weather, in the rain, in the sun, in the morning, in the evening and in the afternoon. It was a lot of work, a lot of dedication and a huge accomplishment. My goal was to run without stopping and under 40 minutes. I'm happy to announce I finished the race in 33:45 and did not stop - not too bad for a 4'9 girl!

(3.1 miles later-a very sweaty Grace) 

Now that I've got one race under my belt, I'm looking forward to the next. I think I'll complete another 5K and have set a new goal to run a 10K next year.

Thanks to all for the support, encouraging words and advice!

Hasta next time,
Grace


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! I'm so proud. Love that t-shirt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay congratulations! You've inspired me to run a 5k in January (although I went on a 2 mile run today and it was terrible...) good luck on your 10k training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! Your support was so wonderful during this entire process!

    ReplyDelete