Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October - Pretty in Pink


Dedication: This post is dedicated to all the special women in my life. Particularly my all time favorite lady, my Mami. 

It’s October baby! The leaves are starting to turn, the weather is beginning to cool and fall is in full swing.  I’m getting ready to rock the scarves, boots and jeans that have been happily collecting dust over the summer. This month, my wardrobe will get a hint of blush, a pink blush; all in honor of breast cancer awareness month.

I promised I’d make these posts light and bubbly, but as a woman I can’t help but bring awareness to a cause that’s affected so many of my fellow sisters. Each year over 190,000 women in the United States are diagnosed with breast cancer.  In 2011 there will be more than 39, 000 deaths attributed to the disease. 

There are many things you can do to help spread the word and educate yourself, along with the women you love, about this illness. Here is a list of a few things I’m doing to celebrate breast cancer awareness and contribute to the cause.
  •              Educating myself. I’m researching trustworthy websites and organizations on breast cancer   risk factors and prevention.
  •       I’m calling the women I love and care about and reminding them to schedule their yearly mammograms. (Mami, si estas leyendo esto por la quinta ves…Ya llamastes al ginecologo?)
  •             I’m purchasing items which portions of their proceeds will go towards breast cancer research, awareness or prevention. Scope out a few of my personal favorites. Whip out that debit/credit card and buy yourself a treat in the name of a great cause.


Now that you know what I’m doing, what are some of the things you are planning to do or have done in the past to bring awareness to the cause?

2 comments:

  1. I love this Grace!!! Great ideas on supporting something dear to our hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Women have the right to put themselves first; thank you for this post Grace!

    ReplyDelete